Everyone can appreciate the joy that comes with laughing, but many are unaware of the benefits of the act. If you’re included in that category, we’re about to change that for you.
- Laughing has a strong effect on your body. It releases tension and eliminates stress on a physiological level. After a good round of laughing, your muscles may stay relaxed for up to 45 minutes.
- Boost to the Immune System. Yes, it’s true. Laughter reduces the amount of stress hormones in your blood and elevates the number of immune cells and antibodies in your blood, contributing to increased resistance to disease.
- Heart Protection. This one may surprise you, but laughter actually increases blood flow and contributes to the function of blood vessels, two processes that protect your heart health. Hoorah for decreased risk of heart attacks, everyone.
- Release of Endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s natural feel-good hormones. Laughter releases them, and they trigger an improvement in your mood and can temporarily relieve pain, or at least reduce the amount you are experiencing.
- Reduces Distressing Emotions. Laughter is essentially a barrier between you and negative emotions that may be lurking underneath a calm surface. After all, you can’t be sad or angry at something if you’re laughing.
- Perspective Shift. Laughter can be just the break your mind needs when dealing with difficult situations. It allows your perspective to shift and see things in a more positive way. This can both diffuse conflict and reduce stress/anxiety, two factors that can negatively impact mental health.
- Strengthens Relationships. Laughter promotes bonding since it gives two people a shared positive experience and releases the feel-good hormones in our bodies. Laughter is contagious after all, so the more you laugh around people, the more they will want to be around you, and vice versa. Everyone wants to be with people that make them feel good, and laughter is one of the best ways to do so.
- Reduces Conflict. Humor can be an incredible way to diffuse conflict between friends, family members, and romantic partners. A quick joke can quickly set a fight aside, and the laughter you share will remind you how good it is to be around one another.
If you need some more laughter in your life, check out House of Comedy.